July 4, 2014

We were so excited for Independence Day this year! 1. It is my favorite holiday. 2. It was Gwennie's first time celebrating. 3. We were all just super excited.

I woke up early, and decided to walk to where the parade would be and set up chairs for our group. I did this around 5:00 am, and though the spot was incredible, I didn't think about the sun so we were being scorched. Luckily, everyone was just happy to see the parade regardless of the impending sunburns.

When I got back home, I made breakfast for J, and we waited for Gwen to wake up--that girl is a sleep-er in-er. The parade was supposed to start at nine, so at 8:30 am we woke her up and got her dressed, and we went on our way!!!

We didn't last the entire parade because the sun was so intense. There was a storm coming in so the clouds magnified the sun, and it was just painful! When we got home around 10, we had a snack and Gwen went back to sleep for her nap.

We have had the best luck in going to Winslow for fireworks, but driving with Gwen at night is miserable. She likes to see what is going on, but it's too dark. The car light can be on, but it overheats, and we just would rather do anything else other than driving her around at night. Since Winslow is 45 minutes away with the show starting as soon as it is dark enough, we decided to stay in Flagstaff and watch from the country club.

We went with the Valdes family and the Kelly family to the country club, set up some chairs and talked and played. Finally, the huge storm rolled in, and we were getting rained on. We stayed for a good while, but eventually is started pouring, so we ran to the car and got hot cocoa and ice cream instead!

Normally, an Independence Day like that would really leave me wanting more, but this was absolutely my favorite. The more I grow up, the more I realize that plans don't always turn out, and the best way to handle that is to make the best out of it! I could have been sad about not seeing fireworks, but getting ice cream and cocoa with friends was way better. Running out of the golf course because your getting dumped on could leave me cold and upset, but instead it was a total adventure! I'm glad to be able to roll with life. I hope I keep getting better at that.


Gwen in her 4th of July duds!

She konked out from the excitement and heat of the parade!

Susie and our family. We rushed into our car after getting rained on. We were SOAKED!!



Comments

Unknown said…
I'm getting better about just rolling with it too... doesn't it make life so much nicer? Also, I LOVE SUSIE. As I am sure you do.

P.S. Payson's 4th of July festivities are awesome. Hint hint. ;)

Popular Posts