Baby Wade is here!!!

😍
don't mind his pink hat


son, dad, grandpa

Gwen was so emotional here!

the boys, minus Fred 



look at that blonde hair!









 Wade joined our family earthside two weeks earlier than we were expecting! It has been a treat to have him and we all love him so much. Here's his birth story.

Prologue: Since finding out I was pregnant, I've always been wary of my estimated due date. I just felt like it was off, and that was in the back of my mind until I got an ultrasound in my third trimester that ultimately put him a week or two larger than what my due date was. 

On Monday, November 7, I woke up feeling totally normal. I went on a longer walk than what I'd been previously doing with the family because I was excited to walk with Shauni and spend the morning together. We walked and talked as we strolled around, and she naturally always walks faster than me, so I did a fair share of speed(ish) walking. When we got back, I showered, tinted my eyebrows so they'd be perfect for baby's arrival two weeks from now, and cleaned and styled my hair. I picked up the girls from school like normal, we watched Dancing with the Stars that night after dinner, and we all did our nightly routines of teeth brushing, hair brushing, and Gwen and Emily forcing us to sing far too many bedtime songs. 

Around 9 pm, Jake and I were getting ready to go to bed. I went to the bathroom, and when I came out to the kitchen, I felt a leak! I told Jake, "This is probably nothing... I probably wet myself, but I think I'm leaking!" I was immediately thinking this was the start of something, but Jake said, "You probably peed." hahah! My response was something like, well, I've never had that issue with my bladder. I don't leak when I sneeze or jump or anything. Anyway, I changed my clothes and started monitoring this leak and it just kept going! I texted Esther (friend turned doula!) around 10 pm something similar to what I told Jake. It could be nothing, but I want you to know, blah blah blah. She called me pretty quickly afterward to encourage me to try to get rest. I decided to call the midwife, Karin, to let her know that it could be nothing, but I'm leaking. I expected to get the voicemail, but Karin actually picked up which ended up being a major blessing because she was able to immediately rest and prep for us. After I called Karin, I texted my mom and told her directions to the kids' school, times for pickup, etc. Her response was "So...are you saying something is going on down in Mesa?"

MARILYN TANGENT- Important details

Part One. When I was in active labor with Emily, Jake called my mom to come stay with Gwen while we went to the hospital. She arrived and I was super annoyed at her and Jake for thinking I was in labor (I was, but I didn't want to go to the hospital and have them tell me it was false labor!) My mom and J had to practically force me to go, but once I got in the car and realized I was in labor, I was like. . . Jake! Why didn't you and my mom tell me I was in labor!? To which that smart man said and did nothing hahah!

Part Two. My mom and dad had JUST come down to the valley from Snowflake to Mesa, to Sierra Vista, back to Mesa, and back to Snowflake this VERY day/previous weekend, Monday, November 7. The were visiting family each place they went. They had come to pick up a few things they left and got back home around 4 pm. When she texted me that she was home, I immediately replied "Good! I'm glad! Now come back because it's baby time!!!" Followed immediately by "I'm just kidding. I won't ever joke like that again. I thought I was funny." Mom replied "You were not funny". Me- "I know! I'm sorry! I'll never do it again." This conversation happened at 4:08 pm. 

Story resumes.

At 11 pm, I replied to my mom saying, "I've been leaking since 9, no contractions, but I'm just getting you prepared. We've called the doula and the midwife. Jake is sleeping, but I'm too adrenaline rushed. I'm certain it was my water, but maybe it wasn't." Mom called me immediately. We decided she should come back to town as soon as it was morning. She texted me at 1 am and asked how I was. At 2:42 am, I replied "You should definitely come back to Mesa today." The next time we connected at 7 am, I had had a baby.

After the 2:42 am text to Mom, I texted Esther at 3:30 am that my contractions were coming every 10 minutes and lasting anywhere from 45 seconds to 2 minutes. I woke Jake unintentionally while breathing through a long contraction. At first I wanted him to go back to sleep, but when the contraction wouldn't end, he decided he was up up. We called Karin and let her know we were coming. We told Esther we were leaving at 4:15 am to go to the birth center. One of us called Shauni, I can't remember who, and while on the phone with her my surges started increasing. I was having long contractions every 5 minutes. When Shauni and Jordan got here to watch the girls until my mom could get here, they were coming every 3 minutes. While Jake was getting things in the car, Shauni put some pressure on my hips and it felt like heaven. Jake and her switched out doing this a few times until we were ready to go.

Jake got me out to the car and the whole time I kept complaining about the back pain and pressure I was having. I kept telling him that I couldn't get comfortable. I couldn't sit on my bum. I had to get in the car, and turn toward the back seat because I just needed more room to stretch (unsuccessfully). Jake made me laugh because he called Vonnie while we were driving to the center and said the baby was coming, and I was like, WE THINK! It could be a false alarm! And Jake just didn't look at me or say anything. Bless my sweet heart. 

We got to the center about 15 minutes later, and this is where all time goes away. For the next hour, I have no idea what was transpiring when but it doesn't matter. We got to Karin, and Laura, a birth assistant, met us at the door. We went to the room and they had a tub filled up for me for laboring. I thought I'd want to try that, but I was so, SO hot, and I felt the water with my hand and knew I wasn't going to get in there. I had a contraction and when it was over, Esther was at my side. Another contraction and Jake was at my side. They were pushing on my hips, whispering affirmations to me...it was divine. At one point when I thought the pain was the worst I heard Esther say to me "You are doing perfectly. You know what you're doing and it's perfect" and it was the best. It felt like a holy place, despite all the physical turmoil. 

After laboring in the room, I wanted to go to the bathroom. I don't know how I got there, but it was the first place I could get comfortable because the toilet has the opening so my back pressure was finally relieved. Laura asked if I wanted to get in the shower, and I said no. She asked me if I wanted to stay in the bathroom and I said yes, so we ended up staying there until baby was born. 

Laura and Karin were in front of me, Jake to my side. Each contraction only felt better if I could lengthen my body so I was on one foot tippy toe and the other foot on the toilet trying to relieve the pressure on my tailbone. I looked in front of me and saw Shauni and asked(yelled) "is that the baby?" and she looked at me and nodded. Then I asked (shouted to) Esther and said something like, is it? Can you see him? And she replied the same. We see him. Touch him, you can feel him. But my grasp was on Jake and the other on the bar and I knew I couldn't let go of those supports, so I pushed that baby's head out! I looked down and saw his head, and immediately pushed again and I felt his shoulders being born and then there he was! Laura and Karin got the cord around his neck untied and a moment later he was in my arms. He was so perfect! I was so tired. I have a picture of Jake smiling and the juxtaposition of my exhaustion is one of my favorite things. 

Wade Lorenzo was born at 5:08 am. He weighed 8 pounds, 11 ounces. He is a dream. He has blonde hair and blue eyes, and is the look alike of Jake and Gwen. He is calm and serene, but loud when he has something to say. He doesn't fit in his newborn clothes and diapers, and I'm so proud. 

My experience at the birth center was incredible. I was so thankful for Karin and Laura, and I'm just so thankful for Esther! She taught a hypnobirthing class that I went to, gave me all the confidence and love, and having her there was such a bonus. Jake is my teammate for life. He is the best supporter in the world. He is divinely such a protector. We often talk about how femininity is divine, and I just have to give him all the credit for his God-given masculinity that makes him such a safe place. My birth team could not have been better. 


Interesting things to note:

I had tested positive for Group B Strep, but my labor was so short that I didn't get the antibiotics. 

I never had a single cervical check. 

Wade's umbilical cord remnant came off within his first week. That was fast compared to the girls.


Funny things I said, recorded by Esther and Shauni

To Jake: "I want to pinch you so bad but not because I'm mad."

"Wade, that hurt so bad but I loved it. I hated it." hahaha always trying to be positive but the truth came out.




Comments

Popular Posts