Day 4 - That one time I had no curfew. . .

Background: I always had a curfew. I used to look at it like it was a bad thing, but when we got married I realized what a good thing it actually was!

Every Friday and Saturday night I was to be home at 11:00 p.m. If I was going to be late, I had to call before 10:50. None of that procrastination stuff worked with my parentals. They were generous with giving out extensions, but nothing later than 12:00 was ever acceptable. A common phrase in my house while I was a teenager was "nothing really good happens after 11 o'clock at night." Gotta love President Hinckley!!

When Jake and I started dating, the curfew was the exact same. We were counseled by bishops, leaders, teachers and parents to never, ever be alone. Now, that didn't exclude dates. We got to know each other in safe settings whether at a restaurant with all the diners acting as our chaperones, or to dance parties and social activities.

However, even when we visited his family who lived 3 hours away, we would be accompanied by my sister or friends for the snowboarding trips! We were hardly ever alone once we got serious, which we're both thankful for.

Story: When we got engaged, preparations for our reception were discussed fast. We wanted to have candies. . . LOTS of candies. We opted for hugs and kissed, jelly beans (num num num) and other things. The jelly beans are the important part here.

For Easter my mom had found the most tasty jelly beans! They were delicious and even prettier than they tasted. Gobs of peaches, pinks and random green beans---they were the colors that I wanted!!! So, the Monday after Easter, Mom gave me a mission. Mission:Go to every single WalMart you can think of and get all the jelly beans you can find.

Now, let me mention, I was at my singles ward's family home evening till 9:30 pm ish. So when I get the mission, it's close to 10. When I'm ready to leave, another 15 minutes has passed. I said goodbye to my mom and she asked where Jake was. . . . Whaaaaaaaaa?????

Talk about confusion. First, school night! Second, 10 p.m. Third, Meredith is already ready for bed. Fourth, YOU'RE already set for bed. So as I process my dumbness, my mom asks again, "Where's Jake?" I immediately sparked up and called him! He came over pretty quickly after that, and when we were set to leave, we asked when to be home. . .

And do you know what my mother said? . . .

She said, "When you get all the jelly beans you can."

Both of our jaws dropped! It was a miracle!

I don't know how many hours passed, but I know we had about a billion hextimillion jelly beans in tow. AND we got to talk. About not wedding plans. And we sang out loud to Disney. And Rihanna. And Usher.

It was amazing. And to make it even better, we got to do the same thing weeks later when we had to hit up as many JC Penney's as we could for the right ties. That was more adventurous because it was an all night sale. Driving to the middle of Peoria when you have no clue where you are= awesome!

The moral of the story, I will not spoil my children and they will have 11:00 p.m. curfews because President Hinckley and my mom said so.

We like to matchy match on accident sometimes.

Comments

Anonymous said…
bahah i like the end.... cause mom said so!!!
Anonymous said…
i love this story!!! so cute.

Popular Posts