Well, you see, when two people love each other. . .

very, very much, they engage one another. Jake, who decided his best friends call him Jack, (what the odd!?) engaged me this past Monday with a glorious, shiny Sparkly. Alas, the most funnest news to me is that I went from being a plain, old girlfriend to a brand-spanking-new fiance.

So the story is simple. He said, "Verd, will you marry me?" to which I replied, "Oooh well that's pretty!" And then I asked him to put it on my finger and he did and then I held his hand so it was a mutual understanding that the answer of "yes" was just implied.

Backround to the simple story: Our first date on November 22, 2008 was simple. (See the trend? We like simple.) We went to QuickTrip and got deluxe hot cocoa. Fast forward to Monday, February 8, 2010. Monday night, FHE, singles ward. . . that means food, fun, and friends. We like that kind of stuff, too. I don't usually see Jake much throughout the week. We both have semi-conflicting school schedules, both full-time students, bogged down with homework pretty much daily. . . we live a few tough lives! Anyway, today I saw him at school! Hooray! It was fun so walk across the walk and high five him as he went to a break before his next physics class and as I went to my computer class. He texted me after something about getting hot cocoa. Now I have been BEGGING for some cocoa because it's uber cheap and easy on the wallet AND Jake finds it more appropriate than ice cream this time of year. So I slyly reply in my text message, "Oooh la la! yes Yes YES!" So. . .obviously I wasn't too sly, but it's good. No worries.
So now it's a few hours later. FHE starts at 7:30. My math class ends at 7:00, Physics ends on Monday at 7:00. I had a test (which I dominated and got out after 30 minutes=45 minutes early!) and after I went home. Jake called and told me that he'd go home and then come over with the cocoa mix so we would have to be late to FHE. I absolutely abhor tardiness unless it is to my class from 7:10-9:50 on Wednesday with my safari professor. . . so Jake tries his best to keep me on time. He came over, we made some cocoa and then headed to the magical Family Home Evening. We were driving along and he got into the wrong lane! I'm going a little nuts here because he swerved quite possibly to kill me, but he'll never admit that's the motive. . . but I know. . . and we turned onto Main Street where the Mesa, Arizona temple is located. We have really good friends that live around there, so I just thought we'd be icing FHE for a few minutes. I asked what the plan was and he said, "You know, I just want to go to the temple for a bit."
Now. This is very understandable and not suspicious for two reasons. 1, we love to get our picnic on at the temple in the middle of the huge, green grass pit. 2, because I always make fun of people that get engaged at the temple (it's okay, one of my best friends got engaged there. Don't stress) So we get out and we walk around. Mindless chitter chat happens, "Look, how weird are blue flowers!? Soo fake!" and "Why are those two men so close to each other on the grounds?! The sister missionaries need to get over here!" We turned and we near the baptistry door and I heard the mysterious fountain. I've never taken the time to really look at this fountain but I wanted to because I love Aslan and I love C.S. Lewis and that's who the marble lion looked like. So we're up the ramp by the lion and I'm hardcore about looking at this marble Aslan. (I stroked him because that's what Lucy does. . . ) and had my back to Jake. When I was getting out of the fountain, because I was quite literally, IN IT practically, I turned back around to see NO ONE! But then I looked down and there was Jake on his knee with a little, black box and something glimmery. Then the story is just how I said earlier.

So, again. Jake has engaged me and it's pretty fantastic if you wanted to know. Already I've seen the benefits of Sparkly because I can sit in institute for a solid 5.673 minutes and not get hit on by creepy people. (Somehow I always give them my number thinking it will make them go away. . . but that's another story. . .and ps: this method DOES NOT WORK!)

Last, but not least, I'm very proud of Jake for not saying anything super sap-tastic. The only sappy-ish thing he said was "I love you." and that's totally normal. But yes. In a matter of time, Jacob Denham will officially change my name and I feel pretty good about that.

The End.

*birds fluttering around your head. . .too bad if you're indoors. . .*

Comments

Seneca said…
Yay! I know the story now, I couldn't sleep last night. I wanna see yo riiiiing! Oh and doooode! I love that fountain, I just noticed it last year and fell in love, if our religion had holy water, that is where it would spout from. :D
YAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it's officially official. :]
i'm so happy for you.
:D
Merkley Jiating said…
Congratulations! That is very exciting!
Natalie said…
Yay!! Congratulations!!

PS you should have creeped on me!! Did you see me shooting orr was it when I climbed that gnarley set-up?! HAHAHA. Before it started Darcy and I just sat up there. NEXT year I am riding that sucker.
HUMOR!! You were definitely shooting when I saw you! Ya hawt little thang!

Popular Posts